Acid attack victim Resham Khan is trolled online

Aspiring model Resham Khan, 21, suffered 'life-changing' injuries in the acid attack

Aspiring model Resham Khan, 21, suffered ‘life-changing’ injuries in the acid attack

A brave model left with horrific face and neck injuries in an acid attack last month has revealed how she was called a ‘b****’ by a cruel Instagram troll – for not replying to his message.

Resham Khan, 21, was injured, along with her cousin Jameel Muhktar, in the June 21 attack in Beckton, East London.

In a blog post today, she revealed that many had sent kind messages over social network Instagram.

But she said she was shocked to read one of the messages.

She wrote: ‘Today I opened a dm from a guy that had initially messaged me a few weeks ago wishing me well. 

‘Long story short, my lack of response or effort to make casual conversation led to him calling me a b**** and telling me to delete him (although I didn’t actually follow him).

‘Okay so it might sound silly, but it really wound me up. Who says that just because a guy messages a woman it means she MUST reply, and if she doesn’t she is a rude, mean person that deserves to be called a b****. 

Miss Khan has said she wants to ensure 'no one ever goes through the living nightmare I have endured'
Miss Khan was left with horrific face and neck injuries after the incident on June 21

Miss Khan has said she wants to ensure ‘no one ever goes through the living nightmare I have endured’ after being left with horrific face and neck injuries after the incident

Miss Khan's cousin Jameel Muhktar also suffered 'life-changing' burns in the attack on June 21

Miss Khan’s cousin Jameel Muhktar also suffered ‘life-changing’ burns in the attack on June 21

‘Don’t push your toys out the pram just because a woman isn’t entertaining the conversation. The reasons for her reply, or lack of, is not up for discussion. LADIES: We don’t have to reply to anyone.’

She revealed she is now out of hospital, and had gone for a walk for the first time since the terrifying attack.

Miss Khan wrote: ‘Although I wasn’t going to, I decided I couldn’t put a timeline on “when I’m ready” to leave my house. 

‘I did it on my own terms; went with my dad, wore huge shades, went to only one store and went after the shopping rush. But I still did it. More than likely I’ll try again, maybe aiming to go out closer to rush hour the more my face begins the heal.

‘So overall, I’ve been out of hospital for two days, and I’ve seen friends, sat in a car (windows closed obviously) and walked to B&M home stores.’  

It followed a harrowing open letter published last week, in which she said she was ‘patiently waiting for the return of my face’, and told of her ‘unbearable pain’.

Now Miss Khan has said she wants to ensure ‘no one ever goes through the living nightmare I have endured’ after being left with horrific face and neck injuries after the incident on June 21.

It comes as a campaign to change the law to make corrosive substances much harder to buy gained momentum as it hit more than 360,000 signatures online.

In her letter, Miss Khan wrote: ‘I invite you all in once again to reflect upon my 21st birthday. A milestone age for many reasons, we must remember that any opportunity to mark or celebrate the occasion was stolen from me.

‘Stolen in one of the most painfully scarring ways I could ever imagine. My plans are in pieces; my pain is unbearable, and I write this letter in hospital whilst I patiently wait for the return of my face.

Miss Khan and Jameel Muhktar, before the attack
Miss Khan, pictured before the attack

Miss Khan (right) and Jameel Muhktar (left, together) are pictured before the horrific attack

‘Currently, I have two main priorities: to make a full recovery and to make sure no one ever goes through the living nightmare I have endured.

‘Since the attack and the vast media coverage, the disturbing rise of attacks using corrosive substances as a weapon has been brought to the public’s attention.’

She said that the number of incidents involving corrosive substances in London has risen from 186 in 2014/2015 to 397 in 2016/2017.

Miss Khan added: ‘Street gangs are now using these life-changing substances instead of guns and knives. Why are acids the new street weapon? 

John Tomlin has been charged with two counts of grievous bodily harm with intent

John Tomlin has been charged with two counts of grievous bodily harm with intent

‘Because corrosive substances are readily available in-store and online for as little as £6.50 and the laws surrounding possession is loose.

‘I cannot sit back whilst others remain indoors in fear of this happening to them. This problem needs to be eliminated. I refuse to allow the country I grew up in to simply get used to corrosive substance attacks. The fear is real. The crime is real.’

She has provided a five-point plan, including asking police to take a tougher approach on corrosive substances and retailers to consider regulation changes.

She also wants harsher punishments for acid attack perpetrators and the possession of corrosive substances without good reason to be punishable.

Finally, Miss Khan wants the Government to impose licensing regulations for the buying of corrosive substances, depending on the concentration levels.

John Tomlin appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court yesterday charged with two counts of grievous bodily harm with intent over the alleged attack.

The 25-year-old from Canning Town handed himself in to police on Sunday. He was remanded in custody and told to appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on August 8. 

News source:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4715464/Brave-acid-attack-victim-trolled-online.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490